Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Texas Maverick Graphic Novels Reading List

I thought that I would begin this blog with a post about Texas libraries and comics since I am from the Lone Star State. I recognize that many of you are not from the former territory of two European empires, former territory of Mexico, former independent republic, former state of the C.S.A., and the 28th state of the U.S.A., and I recognize that Texans like to talk about all things Texas. I especially understand that Texas pride can get quite annoying after about two seconds. I promise that this blog will not do that for the most part. I just ask that you bear with me on this first proud post.

The Texas Library Association (TLA) includes a round table called the Young Adult Round Table (YART) whose purpose is to "promote and to improve library services for young adults in Texas." One way that YART accomplishes this purpose is through their Maverick Graphic Novels Committee. The Maverick Committee compiles a Graphic Novels Reading List, selected from solicited recommendations. "The purpose of the list is to encourage students in grades 6-12 to explore a variety of current books ... [and] is intended for recreational reading, not to support a specific curriculum." The new committee is chaired by a librarian at the Denton (TX) Public Library and a good friend, WyLaina Hildreth. She is a fellow traveler in all things comics and all things libraries. 2010 marked the first year of their annual reading list.

If you would like to sugguest a title for the Maverick Committee to review for 2011, click here.

5 comments:

  1. This may be of interest:
    http://aliceandrews.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words! I hope we come up with a great list for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks indigocrush! I like what little that I have read of Boyd's work. I reposted the link on the University of Florida's Comix-Scholars discussion list.

    http://www.english.ufl.edu/comics/scholars/index.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, Willie. There have been good graphic novels published in the last year, so I expect that a great list is forthcoming. Thank you and the rest of the Maverick Committee for creating the lists.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm assuming Graphic Novels would be at most PG-13 since the target is 6 -12th graders. The title leaves it wide open to speculation.

    ReplyDelete